Our Office is open on an appointment-only basis.

Why do I have to provide documentation?

Documentation is required to ensure the Plan covers only those who are eligible to receive benefits. For each new dependent you are covering, you must submit documentation as required by the Plan (originals are not required; please send copies). Documentation may include:

  • Marriage license
  • Birth certificate
  • Adoption papers
  • Court orders

Please refer to the CTA Retiree Health Care Plan Enrollment Guide and your enrollment form for details.